Printed from JewishMelbourne.com.au

History

History

 Email

History Snapshot

Moorabbin Hebrew Congregation was established in 1949 as an independent Orthodox synagogue serving the growing needs of local Jews moving to the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Our founders were a mix of holocaust survivors and British immigrants to Australia and this easy familiarity that developed between people of different cultures quickly won the newly established congregation a reputation for inclusiveness and friendliness.

The congregation was formally established in 1950 by Rev. H Nossel, a European trained scholar, together with a dedicated group of layleaders, some of whom remain dedicated members some 60 years later! Our community has been well served by a variety of spiritual leaders including Reverends Scher, Honig and Belfer and Rabbis Kluwgant and Goodman. The much loved Rev. E. Cahn (19?- 2005) led the congregation for 19 years till 1993.

Rabbi Elisha Greenbaum was appointed Chief Minister of our community in April 2000. Together with his wife, Leah, they have been responsible for offering a host of innovative programs and spiritual growth opportunities to the local community. A dedicated Board of Management, currently headed by President Jeff Alford and an team of volunteers , Membership of the congregation has more than doubled

 Email
Updates
updates
Subscribe to receive the Rabbi's weekly musings, and to receive updated community information.
Upcoming events
We're Not Just a Shule,
We're a Community